What we know:
- Tsunami waves are hitting the northeastern coast of the South Island after a major earthquake - find your local evacuation zone here
- Waves as high as five metres are possible between Marlborough and Banks Peninsula.
- Two people have been injured after the Elm Homestead collapsed in Kaikoura.
- Evacuations from coastal areas are taking place up and down the country
- The severe 7.5 magnitude struck near Hamner Springs just after midnight.
- More than 50 aftershocks have struck up and down the country, as far north as Pukekohe, south of Auckland.