One of Aotearoa’s greatest musical talents Melodownz cleaned up at the 2023 Pacific Music Awards last night.
The night had many winners but the Avondale-born artist took home three awards: Best Pacific Male Artist, NZ on Air Best Pacific Music Video for ‘Pray for More ft. Lisi, Mikey Dam’, and Recorded Music Te Pukaemi Toa o Te Moana Nui a Kiwa | Best Pacific Music Album Award for ‘Lone Wolf’.
During one of his acceptance speeches, he “told the audience that it was a duty for Pasifika artists to give back to their communities,” as reported by RNZ.
Māori DJ Lady Shaka was also recognised and celebrated at this year’s Pacific Music Awards, with her parents giving an emotional speech on her behalf.
Due to killing it overseas, she could not make it to the awards at the Due Drops Events Centre in Manukau, Auckland. Instead, her mum and dad took the stage to accept the 'Creative New Zealand Award' on her behalf. The two also sang a touching song in honour of their daughter.
Petrin Togi-Sa’ena, the event producer, reckons the night was a massive success and a fitting tribute to Pacific music.
“This year’s celebration was full of heart and collective spirit,” she said. “We loved this chance to bring our music communities together, where we can gather as one big extended family, to celebrate our Pacific artists and honour Pacific music.”
“We especially loved shining the light for Niue, with our theme, language components and beautiful opening performance. It’s our annual night to shine and to bring joy. We loved every minute of it!”
2023 Pacific Music Awards Winners
- Auckland Council Best Pacific Female Artist: Olivia Foa'i - 'Sunlight'
- NZ Music Commission Best Pacific Male Artist: Melodownz - Lone Wolf
- Flava Best Pacific Group: Deceptikonz - In Perpetuity
- 531pi Best Pacific Gospel Artist: Punialava'a - Tagi Le Atunu'u Pele
- Matai Watches Best Pacific Hip Hop Artist: Poetik - Hamofied Tre
- Best Pacific Soul/RnB Artist: Sam V - The one, the lonely EP, 'Come Through,' 'Love Again'
- Best Pacific Roots/Reggae Artist: Three Houses Down - 'The Dream', 'She Loves Me'
- Niu FM Best International Pacific Artist: Josh Tatofi - 'Prisoner of Love', 'Sweet Loven', 'Landslide', 'Still the One', 'Pua Ahih'I', 'Good Morning Beautiful', 'Tomorrow'
- MPG/SAE Best Producer: Mareko x Ricky Paul - Untitled: ACT 1 (Producer: Ricky Paul Musik)
- NZ On Air Best Pacific Music Video: Melodownz - 'Pray For More ft Lisi, Mikey Dam' (directed by Connor Pritchard)
- APRA Best Pacific Song: Victor J Sefo - '685' (Written by Victor J Sefo, Ventry Parker, Elijah Tovio)
- SunPix Best Pacific Language: Olivia Foa'i- 'Sunlight'
- Recorded Music NZ Te Pukaemi Toa O Te Moana Nui A Kiwa | Best Pacific Music Album Award: Melodownz - Lone Wolf
- NZ On Air Radio Airplay Award: SWIDT ft Lomez Brown - 'Kelz Garage'
- NZ On Air Streaming Award: Savage ft Aaradhna - 'They Don't Know'
- SunPix People's Choice Award - Best Pacific Artist: Wayno
- Phillip Fuemana Award - Most Promising Pacific Artist: Teo Glacier
- Creative New Zealand Award: Lady Shaka
- Ministry for Pacific Peoples Special Recognition Award: 531pi
- Ministry for Pacific Peoples Special Recognition Award: Mark Vanilau
- Arch Angel Independent Music Award: Victor J Sefo
- Manukau Institute of Technology Lifetime Te Pukenga Achievement Award: Toni Williams