Air New Zealand is potentially saying ‘lata bo’ to their current in-flight menu, with some Aotearoa delicacies maybe making their way to your tray table.
Last week the airline launched the ‘Great Kiwi Snack Off’, a campaign launched to help suss out the possible new menu (sorry Cookie Time cookies!). They’ve received over 250 submissions so far, and shared the 13 they see as the most “imaginative”.
All kinds of food make the shortlist, from veges to treats to some savoury greats. I say just make this whole list the menu.
13 most imaginative Kiwi infusions suggested to Air New Zealand so far:
- Kiwi Onion Dip with Veggie Dippers - A crowd favourite, this classic Kiwi dip is made with onion soup mix and reduced cream, served with a colourful array of fresh vegetable dippers.
- Sausage Sizzle Snag Roll – The time-honoured Bunnings BBQ sizzle snag rolled up in soft bread, Heinz ketchup and topped with an authentic mix of raw and burnt onions.
- L&P gummies - gummy bears infused with the iconic lemon and paeroa soda flavour.
- Spaghetti Toastie - Melted cheese sandwiched between two slices of toast with a hearty serving of Wattie's spaghetti inside.
- Lemon Meringue Pie flavoured popcorn –A mash-up of two crowd favourites, coated in a white chocolate drizzle.
- Snifters Slice – a nostalgic chocolate and peppermint slice reminiscent of the original Kiwi candy.
- Marmite and Cheese Scones - savoury scones made with classic Kiwi spread and cheddar cheese.
- Hokey Pokey Popcorn - popcorn coated with honeycomb chunks, another iconic Kiwi flavour.
- Māori Fry Bread - Soft, fluffy fry bread filled with a choice of flavourful fillings, such as whitebait, pāua or spiced taro.
- Pavlova bites - Mini meringue bites topped with fresh kiwifruit and whipped cream.
- Hangi pies – A take on the classic New Zealand pie, filled with savoury beef mince seasoned with traditional hangi spices.
- Hemp Chocolate Bar - a chocolate bar infused with hemp seeds, a nod to New Zealand's growing hemp industry.
- Kai Moana Chowder - A creamy and flavourful chowder made with a variety of fresh seafood, perfect for warming up on a chilly flight.
Honestly could go for any of these. Though there are some huge potential mess issues arising if they go with the spaghetti toastie or chowder though (not to mention how awful the smell would be on a plane full of chowder).
Submissions of interest for the Great Kiwi Snack Off close on May the 1st, so we'll know what the next kai in the sky is gonna be some time after that.