Three of the best NZ Warriors comebacks

Sport 29/03/2018

After the Warriors made history in Canberra when they came from behind to win 20-19.

Down 19-6 heading into the final 20 minutes, the Penrose-based club found an extra gear and did what was required to win.

Down by seven points with four minutes to go at GIO Stadium on Saturday, Issac Luke crossed for the New Zealand team's third converted try before Shaun Johnson kicked two field goals in two minutes to secure the win.

It means the Warriors have started a season 3-0 for the first time in history, while also claiming their second away win in 2018 - eclipsing last year's away record, which was one.

After the match, captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck said it was one of the Warriors' greatest escapes.

"This is up there," said Tuivasa-Sheck.

With how recently history has gone for the club, it was magical that they pulled off the unthinkable as they club has been known to blow leads of their own - most significantly, they blew a 28-6 lead against the Panthers in 2017.

To commemorate the come-from-behind win, Newshub takes a look at three other times the Warriors have pulled off miracle comeback wins.

Warriors vs Knights, 2005

The Warriors headed into their round six clash against the Knights in Newcastle with two wins and three losses, and they hadn't beaten the Andrew Johns-led side since 2002.

Things did not start well for the Auckland club as they were down 20-0 after 39 minutes. The game looked all over, but inspired by Stacey Jones, the impossible comeback materialised when winger Francis Meli crossed out wide in the dying seconds as the Warriors tackled the biggest deficit in the club's history.

However, the Warriors would miss out on the finals as they finished 11th overall, while the Knights finished last.

Warriors vs Rosters, 2010

On a wet and horrible Sunday afternoon at AMI Stadium in Christchurch, the Warriors trailed the Sydney Roosters 18-8 with seven minutes left in the match, and two tries in that span propelled the Warriors to victory.

Manu Vatuvei scored in the corner with 6m 43s left, with James Maloney converting to make it a four-point game. The match-winning try was memorable, yet painful, when Kevin Locke latched onto a Lance Hohaia grubber, toed it ahead then dived on the ball as he slammed into one of the uprights in front of 20,721 fans.

He only missed two games with a hip injury before returning as the Warriors went onto finish fifth, but they lost in the first round of the finals.

Warriors vs Tigers, 2011

The Warriors were coming off a 30-10 defeat to the Brisbane Broncos in the first round of the finals, and they were up against the wall from the start as the Tigers had already beaten them twice in 2011.

The Tigers led by 12-0 after 25 minutes and 18-6 at halftime, but the Warriors refused to budge.

With three minutes left, rookie Shaun Johnson launched a towering bomb, and the Tigers couldn't handle it - and somehow Krisnan Inu came down with it. He lunged for the line but came up short, but as he was not held, he reached out again and put the ball down.

What made this comeback more impressive was the fact the Warriors blew an 18-point lead against the Tigers only three months before when they led 22-4 with 20 minutes left.

The Warriors went on to make the grand final that year, losing to the Manly Sea Eagles 24-10.